Blog

Underwater groundwork painted

here's the dirty mix i have been using to paint the underwater groundwork -Van Dyk brown + leather paint. With a bit of black for the dark shadows and pure leather for the parts near the top of the water

Underwater groundwork

I am sorry for the long time without posting anything, but it had much to do with the water effects which proved to be messy, inefficient, involving a fantastic waste of resin -and whose outcome is drying outside as i write this -so nothing is sure concerning the result.

Anyway here we go with the groundwork: I didn't have any plaster left so I had to use some artificial stone to create the underwater relief.


the undercoat of the groundcover

using plasticine and a bathroom tile is the best way I found to coat the groundcover with a first coat of paint using an airbrush.

The natural stuff I used

Those are strawberries roots. i discovered they were ace for trees like willows etc. Otherwise there are mosses that I picked on my outer walls and let dry for a few months. Some of the roots will be pretty cool to create seaweed -the kind you find in marches.

The place where I do the dirty stuff

Sorry for the title -here's the garden shed where I have been relocated when it comes to do everything dirty modeling wise -that means the polyester resin and the airbrush. This place is located at the end of our tiny garden, it's falling apart basically but is still quite convenient. Too bad about working with water outside in this season :)

A close-up of the texture I wanted to achieve

.. which works so far. Now of course, it's okay on the paper, I might be adding a bit of colour when the diorama reaches completion as I must think of these elements as the part of a whole of course.. Now on to paint the ground cover...

The holes on the gun craddle

Talking of tedious things to do.. Using a small and old 1/0 brush, I dipped it in rust coloured paint and passed it through most of the holes in the craddle! In some cases, I first did with some dark rust coloured paint, and then did it a second time with a less loaded brush with a lighter shade.

A last rusty trick

Now a last rusty trick -I pick up a Vallejo paint and i *don't* stir it, so what goes out of the tube is only some thinner. I apply the thinner and I sprinkle some pigments. When the whole is set, no doubt that a small proportion of the pigments will still be in a dusty shape -so I create some run offs in the right sense with a dry brush!

applying the discoloured parts

Now this discoloued mix is thinned quite thoroughly, I apply it with a brush near the rust's border, and with a water filled bursh, I *push* the colour near the border so that it makes a real discoloured border.

Pages