Painting metal

Thanks to my friend Alex for lending me hisMig airbrush while my G-35 was out of service. I painted the various platesindividually, using some paints from the mr Super metallic range for the light metallictones and some Mr Color dark iron for the shadows.
I used masking tape  etc. The last airbrush stroke was of light gold in someplaces so that it would look like the sun is not too far away..
Now of course I will have to weather this as well as paint each and everytrapdoor..

The figure.. painted

So i just ended up painting the pilot. Oil overacrylics as a base coat. The uniform is a sort of Olive drab colour and I havebeen actually mixing some *blue* and some *yellow* to get theright shade! That’s right I don’t have any olive drab paint athome. I hate that colour (I had to wear it myself sadly) but hey it has someadvantage that it should really blend well in the landscape.
It’s not very obvious to paint a realistic dead man, so I have been reducing reds to a max, and used a mix of blue and red and black at the placeswhere bruises should be (wrist, under the neck etc. I have been using some transparent brown on the places where the clothes are torn.
My pics are rather poor because the wet oils are doing some reflects but I hope you catch the work being done.


 Here is the plastic box built around theplastic base. there are some borders on the *underside* too because i will haveto "tune" the ricefield.
As you can see, all are fixed using a small Magic Sculp lump.
that's it, If i want all the little plants to be roughly of the same height, Ihave to press out the plants more or less through the holes I carved.In the end I have this..  think that 3 to 5mm of the plants should be underwater which should end up having those smallrice plants popping out of the water..  

Preparing the base for the rice

Now some boring work: underpainting theexposed aircraft machineries and then masking them with tape.Unfortunately I have been sitting on myairbrush's needle (how dumb can you be) And am waiting for a replacement one tocome to resume the painting of the F-105.
How come the rice plants could hold straight on the base? that's right let'sdig some holes with a screwdriver..

Some rice-field

Something i am not ashamed of: using somebroom hair for my small rice-field.
but then not any ole broom!!
Nope I need a broom whose tip is actually *pointy*, not *square*, that's VERYimportant.
Then, I use some string and make a knot over a few hair. I cut the hair and setthe bottom of it in CA glue Then like for Tsushima II, i built a sortof plastic box that will hold everything, especially the rice field's water.. left is the plastic, right is the originalplan i made for the diorama. You may notice the 17 or so rice plants.

Completed fig

So now one of those bllloody moments, when I finish a work, take pics and realize they are all blurred. And now the figwas undercoated which means I can't show anything better.
Well here is the fig as it appears now, with some Green stuff details here andthere like zis for clothes -and ears and hair too            



The pilot's face

Ah well, the pilot is not that busted inthe end.. here is the face as glued, as well as some torn clothes done of GreenStuff. His right shoulder is dangling precariously though.
The fig still hasn't any ears or pockets or hair, but that will be for tonight.
I am afraid he looks more Russian than American though.. I may have to sand hima bit in places indeed..

Starting on the fig

Here we are with the fig this time
First a Magic Sculp silhouette with some piano string inside to strengthen it.the work is quite crude at this stage..yet you may notice the nice coat of primeron the F-105 as well as  the fact that the body is pressed against the fuselagefor the exact shape.
On the following day i proceeded  to sculpt the lower body and the abdomen.Apparently the flight clothes were one piece and quite baggy.. Actually i hadsome trouble to find valuable reference for a pilot's uniform.
So that was the first try, the body was too "high" so I had to cut itquite a bit. I inserted some Hornet hands, because I don't want to spendvaluable time sculpting something somebody can do better than me -but note I willdefinitely sculpt the face &s i don't want to have some Roger Saunders grins and neck problems on my dioramas 

The completed hull of the f-105

Okay that’s it, the plane is mostly completed.
I have been super detailing all the bays, added some wires (lead stringmostly), some parts of my PE fret were especially designed to create some ofthe inside of the bays. I have been adding a bit of the radar hanging too. Ialso sort of detailed the cockpit. I have been buying some instruments decalsfrom Mike Grant Decals tyo make for a few details, but I think that in the end,some ground cover or some rice fern will be hiding a bit of the cockpit.
Now I have a problem with super detailing. I know most modelers are keen todetail their models to death (including some invisible parts) but so am I not,as I think that everything that can distract from the main idea is bad for thewhole diorama. Yet I didn’t have any choice here. I took the risk that the people say “look at his crap radome, where did he find some referenceto end up with such shit”, instead of noticing the real nice lightning effects or the broken pilot.


More detailing

So here I fixed the canopy using tons ofmastic and filler.As some rivets went out with all thatsanding job I have been doing, i had to use some of those Archer resin rivetsthat do the job quite nicely indeed.
You don't want to miss tomorrow's update because it will be the last focusingon the plane -i have been spending hours this week-end on detailing all the cutbits and to be honest it looks like a real mess of a plane right now *and* foronce the pictures are actually quite well taken.