Blog

The green stuff weathered (first step)

Here is the same ar intake after a bit of work. I have been basically -repainting/ screening the airbrushed color with lighter shades so that could produce some discolorations ,and also various run offs on the inside of the air intake. Next will come some further discolorations and maybe the rust -or maybe I will proceed with the rest of the greenish metal.

The green stuff

Now I am looking at it, the green is a bit Kermit-ey. Oh no problem, it's going to be weathered :) So these first pictures show the air intake as it was airbrushed last week-end. i already pre-shadowed the parts that will be more or less hidden in the dark. I used a combination of various Valejo's greens.

The under water part

So, here's the coating for the base, which will eventually end up in the water. I protected the glass parts (which will allow me later to see where i put the resin) with some Tamiya masking tape. All the paint is rusty coloured of course. Several coats from redish to almost black paint. Including some run offs done with too much diluted paint. I should add some texture this evening. All the upper parts are painted too, but it got dark before I could take some picture, so this will wait for a coupla days now :)

Aerograph painting

I don't even know if this word '"aerograph'" exists in English.. Well i mean the basic thing that i use with an air compressor and which is pictured below. I always rant over the fact you can usually do pretty nice things with no money when it comes to model making, here's a proof. Look at this horror, it's the most basic Aztec you can find which i bought more than 10 years ago. It's awful, works when it wants to, but i still can produce some fairly okay things with it :) My compressor I have for the last 20 years, it's a basic compressor for car tires, i got it cheap because it didn't compress as much as was indicated on the paper. All in all, less than 80€ of material, spent a lot of time ago -and no money for newer stuff so here we go!

Building clothes out of cigarette paper #11

Now i pour some superglue on the back of a Saké glass and (last tricky part), *I paint with the shirt with superglue using the back of a modelling knife* Now why is it tricky, hey because if the superglued-up paper touches ANYTHING, it sticks up and you ruin the paper work! It's not recommended that the paper touches the skin too because you might have it permanently glued to the finger (see small picture). But then in this case you can always use a knife to separate skin from paper. So i tend to work in 2 times to avoid the stuff touching anything. i let the glue set while still holding the shirt. It's usually set in about 5 -10 minutes anyway.

Building clothes out of cigarette paper #9

Then i am doing the same kind of job for the collar, but here the job is more tricky as the point would be that the shirt doesn't look like it's been ironed. So i set apart the lapels of the collar with a blade and insert some matches to break the shape of the glued paper. That's all for now, the nexts steps are the buttons and of course the final shaping!

Building clothes out of cigarette paper #8

Then of course i have to cut the opening for the sleeves in the main body of the shirt. I am doing that from the inside with my trusty blade! Then I slice my sleeve accordingly and glue it in the inside of the body of the shirt. Of course I insert some matches so that each side doesn't glue to the other one.

Pages