Two posts in one today, first some murky pictures of the head I sculpted in Duro. He is Alexandre Kaïdanovski of Stalker fame (but also some nice Mikalkov movie I saw). Died pretty young because he drank too much. I already aired a painted version of that special sculpting bit.
Next is the dog. Not very big and of undetermined race. Just a dog basically.. Out of Duro and Magic sculp. I had to fill and sand it quite a bit after that last picture was taken
Here is the completed dog of Duro and Magic Sculp
MS is rather soft but doesn't glue to anything. yet it is ideal to do clothings etc. While Duro is more of a chewing gum texture and glues pretty well to a wire frame. it is also ideal for hair etc as it holds its details much better, but then you can't sand it well and it has not always the best "feeling". That was stupid from me to do that head in Duro only. usually I use some 30% Duro 70% MS for heads.. Mixing them is the way to go most of the time.
And now for something completely different. Homemade photoetch!! Not very fine I must say but enough for most of my 1/35 projects. it's been 5 years i am doing some now and I must say i have been streamlining it quite efficiently. The process is too long to be explained like that, but the first picture shows an insulated metal plaque.
The second one actually shows a trick: to dip it a few seconds in the etching tank, all the drawings must be really visible, if they aren't, you have to dip it again in the revealing acid!
st for that diorama, the first being some glass apparatus for an electrical device (don't know the name of the thing, even in French), the second one is some glass brick for some factory wall.
To do the electrical thing I used some bottle from an old Verlinden (?) resin sprue as a base ...
while I used some old PE grid to make the pattern on the glass brick.
The solution was provided in the excellent "STATIC MODEL MANUAL Building - One hundred and one tips". Well, at the last pages of the fine book, there are quite a few pictures and explanations about the device you have to build to make a sort of pump that will suck out the air in the form. So, being mostly unable at 1/1 work, I went to my stepbrother who despite having a zero tolerance / interest for my little things accepted basically built the machine for me :)
In 30 seconds I had some wonderful bubble free silicon forms :) (to be continued...
Anyway here is first a plastic sheet with all the tiles glued, then this plaque put into place on a thick plastic base. then some plaster to add some relief and details.
At this stage you may notice that the level stops abruptly at roughly 6mm high.. All the extra relief will be added afterwards.
So here is more plaster work, which means designing what will be *above* the water level.
Some half set plaster chunks put on plasticard trying to make them correspond with the flat parts above water level. Then I pressed the figure in the still wet plaster to get the shape right.
Then some plasticard glued, let's pour plaster in and here we have two halves of wall angle.. then let's sculpt the individual bricks
Okay so now most of the elements are painted. The letters were done with the hairspray method: rust brown under faded red paint. the whole makes a bit eerie. Sadly i don't have a better picture of those for now..
And then a closeup of the terrain itself complete with shadows etc.. i put the X-Acto blade so that you have an idea of the rather tiny size of the layout
My new diorama Potestas Clavium -of course I will resume the SBS soon after :) This is actually a diorama that is on since end of January and I am quite happy to put it on air at long last.
thanks for looking here