Sokol diorama blog

The place where I do the dirty stuff

Sorry for the title -here's the garden shed where I have been relocated when it comes to do everything dirty modeling wise -that means the polyester resin and the airbrush. This place is located at the end of our tiny garden, it's falling apart basically but is still quite convenient. Too bad about working with water outside in this season :)

The natural stuff I used

Those are strawberries roots. i discovered they were ace for trees like willows etc. Otherwise there are mosses that I picked on my outer walls and let dry for a few months. Some of the roots will be pretty cool to create seaweed -the kind you find in marches.

Underwater groundwork

I am sorry for the long time without posting anything, but it had much to do with the water effects which proved to be messy, inefficient, involving a fantastic waste of resin -and whose outcome is drying outside as i write this -so nothing is sure concerning the result.

Anyway here we go with the groundwork: I didn't have any plaster left so I had to use some artificial stone to create the underwater relief.


Underwater groundwork painted

here's the dirty mix i have been using to paint the underwater groundwork -Van Dyk brown + leather paint. With a bit of black for the dark shadows and pure leather for the parts near the top of the water

The mould for the resin

See this friggin' pot? that's industrial stuff to help unmould the resin. I bought it 30 bloody euros. So the mould is in glass: it's flat, that's the great advantage of glass :) I use some very strong paper to glue packet to tie all the borders together.

The paint and the first coat of resin

here are the mixes I have been using for the paint: the more the resin will be close to the boat, the more groundwork will be visible, but then I want that the water looks almost blue the more you get far from the gun craddle. So here are my mixes of oil paint -transparent colours of course, though I began with a huge dose of paint to create an opaque bottom of the wate on the places where no groundwork is visible. This picture must show maybe the second coat of resin. Qquite a lot of stuff is already in the water!

Just another coat of resin

Here is what the diorama looks like after 4 or 5 coats of resin. Note that most of these are now transparent -except some of the borders that i tainted with a semi -transparent blue mix to figure out extra depth (or so!)

Why caring?

To explain what follows here is a picture I took this summer -it's more or less the kind of effect I want to acheive with this diorama. When the water is flat it *is* flat. the problem with the resin is that it *shrinks* which produces a crap effect when you immerge partially elements in it. Even more worrying is the fact that it never looks like a flat water. it creates some sort of uneven bumps -which ios really okay when you want to create a sea, but not it you want to create a pond-like water!

A Strange device to get the stuff flat

So here's the mess I did to be absouletely sure the water would be flat : -create a box around the diorama -pouring the resin with some excess that will run on the wooden borders -press a glass surface on the top and keeping it on place with some of the devices that you can see on the picture (des '"serres joints'" en français). I have been doing that 3 days ago. It's mostly a success but I don't have any pictures yet! to be followed..

Pages