Sokol diorama blog

The earth mix

Since a bit of time some companies like Valejo sell some acrylic mixes that are supposed to help you do the groundwork in dioramas. they're right it really works; But then i have been using those products since 1993 basically -you go to an artshop and ask for those mixes of acrylic binders and sand thin or thick... and it's cheaper. So here what you have is a mix between a mostly completely dry acrylic rough sand mix with a '"new'" pot of thin sand one. the fact is that the thin sand is better for the final structure, but its low density makes it hard to really reproduce relief (the material sticks on the brush and is finally quite hard to apply). So mixing it with rougher stuff like here apperas to do the trick. So dried bits get mixed with the thin acrylic mix which produces a medium heavy gel -the dried bits are here to do som extra chunks in it, it's more uneven this way (not sure I explain well!) So I mix up this with some acrylic paints.

Adding the groundwork

Now came the time to add these plants I have been nursing n'painting for weeks! So i put one of those, trim the unpainted end with a pair of cissors, embed it in the still wet earth mix and push the earth around the base (I would do this with real tomatoes!) The trick is the *density*, you have density, you have realism

The other mix...

Here's the groundcover area that willm be behind Sokol's gun craddle. this one is different -few low groundwork, a few roots (that were painted before of course) and some already painted bits of moss and twigs

The groundwork applied on the water base

After having let my groundwork bits dry on the heating, I trimmed them from the CD base with a long cutter blade and glued them on the resin water i did a while back. *IMPORTANT* -If I were about to use some regular superglue, it would *fog* the transparent resin! So i have been using some solvent free superglue -no fog eh.. of course I have been applying an extra layer of my acrylic binder + sand +paint so that i could embed the '"tree'" in the base..

A detail picture

I think it rather works actually. Now the next step will be to embed all the reeds etc.. of course a lot of colour correction will be needed *************//////////////////////////////''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''\*********************** I have been observing tha some people were searching for the Archangel article, well it's not there anymore, I have been selling the rights to Flagship Models who put it on a CD. You are most welcomed if you want to buy it :) ************see more here******************* Don't complain, I will buy a small DV camera and will film the whole process of my next diorama. btw, I have been shooting 2 hours with a borrowed camera the pictures down there, so i will have to do a big editing and will finally post a movie of sorts soonish :) JB *************//////////////////////////////''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''\***********************

a bit of dirt

So well, of course if you see the amount of rust on the boat you can bet it spent already a few years stranded there, so there is no way thereis not going to get a bit of dust on the gun cradle. So here's the first part: I have been painting some of my paper leaves in a dead leaf scheme, took a bit of dirt, bark, twigs and Van Dyk Brown and put it in the supposed sense of the wind. I will add some more dead leaves soon as i think the effect is not that bad :)

Gluing the reeds

here is a detail picture of the reeds as glued behind the gun craddle. The picture is pretty crap but the light is terrible today. The trick is density, sure, I just hope I will have enough of them reeds so that it looks okay...

Colour adjustments

Time to do the colour adjustements. You can see on the picture that the reeds are too clear compare dto the restof the diorama -at leats the lower parts. i will also have to darken the side of the groundwork that won't be facing the light. No problem with the boat parts as it was already done this way before.

Pages