That's the hull completed, I post it at the top because it looks nicer on the RSS feed.
Actually there's still a long way from my last post to that hald baked result.
First let's fill the hull with some car repairing mastic. of course to minimize the amount used I put some plastic sheets near the sides
Of course what's good with this kind of mastic is that it can be filled very easely.
Now this particlaur boat got a not so nice accounter near the conning tower. So i cut out the plastic, glued some lead foil (harder and harder to find) and filled the joints with Tamiya grey mastic.
Now these steel boats got countless rivets as obvious on soem details pictures I was sent. No way i am going to drill a hole for each and put a brass rivet inside. Fortunately, those were rather small and Aires put out some resin rivets on decals. And those were ideal for this build so here my rivet covered hull..
Now I will have some work to do on all the "details" like air intakes, trapdoors, stanchions, the 47mm gun etc etc, quite some work!
So that was some three weeks worth of "work" then, the 4 first meters of that small ship are finally completed. I have no real time to feed t-hat blog properly, so here are some of the steps I used in order to build all the accessories. few text, loads of pictures.
So this starts with homemade photoetch. I only had a few bits of brass left -and then my French online mail order is sluggish to get the stuff delivered, so I had to rely a lot on some of the leftovers from previous dioramas I carefuly store. Anyway, I could still do some of the 47 mm Hotchkiss parts as well as air intake stuff etc.
First that air intake. I hate building air intakes, this is very difficult because you have to work out a master in plastc and Magic Sculp, then you have to vacuform it (with the heat of a candle!) and then you have to join and fill the two halves..
here is a bit of soldering, those are the two supports for the side lights. I don't think i will place them on the boat because their shape somewhat hides the gun, and then I have a reference picture where those had been removed
And here is the thing.. I will post some better pictures showing it primed soonish!
Neither my torpedoes nor my boat are completely finished, but then I wanted to have atry at some walls, made of stone.
Now, if there is an era of modelmaking that moved a lot since last time I built some massonnery of any kind (Brest Litovsk, 2005, another life), that's really the way the model makers build their walls ruins, whatever. Hydrocal, plastic (Miniart, let my eyes roll), cork.. well none of those ways are mine. I always believed that to reproduce an element accurately in scale you should use the same material. Metal for metal, Stone for stone. Aha that's easy being said of course. But really if I had the skill to do my boats all of metal or wood I would do them this way.
There is one thing where I feel like model makers don't have much excuses buying ready made products, it's really when it comes to ruins, walls, houses etc. Because they're freaking easy to do! We a(rte not speaking homemade photoetch here, just to put a few wooden sheet together, pour a bit of plaster and using a modeling knife.
It took me 2 hours to end up with that one below
First let's cut a bit of plastic to have some raisings in the massonery and then using some plasticine for kids to do all the borders (okay, I reckon cutting the plastic in geometric shapes can sometimes be tricky)
When the stones are done, don't hesitate to redo them another time, vary the amount of space between each stone, scratching them with the tip of the blade, half removing them etc.. More tricks about that soonish
Anyway, here are two views of my small bit of wall. A much bigger one next ime/