When i changed my website earlier this year, all of my archives went down the drain. including everything related to Homemade Photoetch. So here is a bit of a reminder associated to my newest project.
Well first let's spend a bit of time on Inkscape or Illustrator (any vector graphic software) drawing this nice plan. Remember, there should be the less white possible because the white parts will be dissolved and you don't need to get your acid bath clogged too early.
I use a regular HP desk lazer printer to printb this drwaing *4 times* on some transparent paper.
So why 4 times? that's because the drawing is not opaque enough with one print.
Do some sort of sandwich using some tape, 2 printings on the top of each other, because you're going to insert the brass sheet betwwen each of those 2 coats.
Cut the photoresist coated brass sheet at the right dimensions.
Here is the sandwhich - Remove the tape protection on each side of the brass and insert the photoresist coated brass sheet betwwen the transparent printings like written a few lines up.
Place your sandwhich on your insulating machine (some special UV neons, plans are everywhere on the internet)
Then place your brass sheet in the revelant bath (usually it's either sold in a dry form that you dilute in water, or as a concentrated liquid). You can buty this in most electronic shop as it's the same product that is being used to make some printed circuits.
Rememember that the temperature of the bath may be important too. Try not to touch the brass with your fingers and wear some gloves because this is acid and it actually may burn you.
And after a few minutes stirring (you must have a few minutes actually, if you develop the stuff too fast the print can me of a bad quality) you may have this which looks quite good indeed!
Now the trick for etching brass is that the etching must be the fastest possible.
That means that the bath musn't be clogged, the Perchlorure de fer (okay, can't remind how to say that in English), it must also be stirred and heated
So in an old aquarium I put 2 liters of the acid, an aquarium heater and air pump and dipped the fret in it.
You can see pretty fast if things go well. look below the parts pop out of the metal
Then when the parts begin to fall apart, better clean everything and get the parts
Let's filter the water, dry the parts and clean them with Acetone so that every trace of the photoresist material can be wiped away.. and time to start the building of the diorama
So that was some three weeks worth of "work" then, the 4 first meters of that small ship are finally completed. I have no real time to feed t-hat blog properly, so here are some of the steps I used in order to build all the accessories. few text, loads of pictures.
So this starts with homemade photoetch. I only had a few bits of brass left -and then my French online mail order is sluggish to get the stuff delivered, so I had to rely a lot on some of the leftovers from previous dioramas I carefuly store. Anyway, I could still do some of the 47 mm Hotchkiss parts as well as air intake stuff etc.
First that air intake. I hate building air intakes, this is very difficult because you have to work out a master in plastc and Magic Sculp, then you have to vacuform it (with the heat of a candle!) and then you have to join and fill the two halves..
here is a bit of soldering, those are the two supports for the side lights. I don't think i will place them on the boat because their shape somewhat hides the gun, and then I have a reference picture where those had been removed
And here is the thing.. I will post some better pictures showing it primed soonish!
This new section regroups all the past blogs I have been running on this site under its various incarnations. The content is quite variable in quality, I hope you can fetch some good info nonetheless.
So this is that my website got a few loading probelms and I had to redo the 2 latest blog entries which were about my latest diorama called "I can Fly now", here is what i wrote last summer :
I have a new diorama which should be ready soon but that won't make it in a blog because of no time really.
I also have been upgrading my website a bit, allowing to post even bigger pictuires for big screens and tiny ones for small screens. it should work!
This below is a gift from my friend Alex, the vehicle is weird enough, and I will work on this..
In the end the diorama proved to be not that bad and you can check the gallery here
And now for something completely different. Homemade photoetch!! Not very fine I must say but enough for most of my 1/35 projects. it's been 5 years i am doing some now and I must say i have been streamlining it quite efficiently. The process is too long to be explained like that, but the first picture shows an insulated metal plaque.
The second one actually shows a trick: to dip it a few seconds in the etching tank, all the drawings must be really visible, if they aren't, you have to dip it again in the revealing acid!
A new diorama again! I think it belongs to the "not so bad" category. I had to do it basically 2 times as I missed tje resin the first around which led me to buy another time that same model (Bronco's Saloon Coach Opel).
You can see the full gallery Here